Sunday, June 20, 2010

Where are the little league sign ups?

Today's a special day. It's Father's Day.

Of course, this year it holds a special meaning this time around. It's Will's first Father's Day. While he can't hold Fin or change his diaper to show how much he loves him, Will's love for his family is already part of what defines him.

The father's role is an interesting one, and I'm realizing that more and more every day as I think about what it means to be a mother.

I think there's a special role between father and son. I never really thought I'd be ok having a boy. I just didn't want to deal with stinky gym shorts, fighting the deodorant battle (which I experience with Will everyday), and watching him go through that awkward stage when their voice changes and their body does even more.

As I've watched Will and Finley's relationship, I've realized how important that father figure is. There are times when Finley needed to step back and watch Will do something he may regret later. But I've also seen how Finley has been there when we've gone through some of our hardest times, when raw emotion was all we had to work with. And Finley's response to Will has always been "bathed in prayer," as he would say.

I'm not going to lie. I do hope our baby is a trendster like his dad, while Will would hate me and correct me for saying that. But more than that, I hope Fin is just like his dad in the way he loves, serves, and leads. Either way, we're going to have a perfect little family. Not because we are perfect. But because...we're together.

1 comment:

  1. Liz, such precious reflections on such that important relationship between a father and son. Fin is very blessed to have such a rich heritage and role models. Can't wait to tell him in person...

    ReplyDelete